There are times when an inner shadow looks like thats what I’m after but it doesn’t quite do what I want. That’s when I like to turn to inner glow.
To use inner glow as a shadow is easy, here’s how;
I’ve set up 2 images, an overlapping T and S. All I’ve done here is to take the letters, change them to a path, alter their position then fill them with white. Eventually I’ll be putting these on a white background to give the desired effect.
The image on the left I’ll give a straight Inner Shadow
For the right image I’m going to add an inner glow to make a shadow, this will take a little bit of tweaking;
So here I’ve changed the blend mode from Screen to Multiply, then changed the yellow colour to black and then finally the size I’ve increased just a tiny bit.
You can see there are two differences. The inner shadow follows the light source, as it should, and thus does not flow around the whole image. The other difference is a little more subtle but none the less important. The glow is a little more soft in it’s transition.
Now I’m going to pop back the background, just white and this will make the effect more noticeable. Then I’m going to add a drop shadow to both images with these settings;
Which gives us these images;
This then really shows up the differences between the two methods. The edges are far sharper on the inner shadow image but the inner glow image has some depth.
- Tippy’s Quiz Night: Photoshop Selections
- Introducing Tippy’s Quiz Night!
- What’s What? Live! Discovering Passion, Resilience, and Nordic Workshops with Special Guest Dave Williams
- Social Media Image Sizing with Adobe Express
- From Stanford to Lynda, then LinkedIn Learning and Adobe. Jan Kabili’s Journey
- 3 Photoshop Techniques for Effortless Social Media Sizing
- Unveiling the Multifaceted World of Technology and Creativity with David McClelland
- New Things and Reminiscing. What’s What? Live! with Special Guest Dave Cross
- Unlocking Creativity: Exploring Adobe Express with Jordan Dené Ellis
- Exploring Comics and Mental Health: A Livestream Chat with Lucy Sullivan