In this tutorial you are going to learn how to create a “stroked” picture from a photo, for this you will need to know how to use the magic wand, stroke & pen tool/lasso tool. We start off by finding a large picture with interesting lines – I used a picture from http://www.sxc.hu
1. First you will need to cut your subject out from the photo using the pen or lasso tool. Copy and paste her onto a new layer (layer 2) and lower the opacity of layer 1 to around 50%
2. Control and click Layer 2 – this selects the girl/subject.
Press the new layer icon at the bottom of the layers pallet.
Go to Edit –> Fill –> white to make a white-filled copy of the girl.
Then drag layer 3 below Layer 2.
3. Now the fun bit begins: first press D on the keyboard to set the default colours. Then select the magic wand tool and use the following settings for the magic wand:
4. Press control + D to make sure nothing is selected. Select Layer 2, click on the subject in a random place with the magic wand tool.
Press the new layer icon on the layers pallet – make sure the new layer is selected and then stroke the selection by going to Edit –> stroke using these settings:
Repeat step 4 until you have built up a number of strokes- increase or decrease the magic wand tolerance to change how the selections look.
Do this until the picture look something like this:
5. You can then hide layer 2 and change the colour of layer 3 (the white girl).
Control + click layer 3 to select the white girl.
Choose the gradient tool and pick an interesting gradient.
Fill the girl with the gradient.
6. Finally make a new layer below Layer 3 and make an interesting Background.
This works on some pictures better than others, I used this technique to make this:
Find me on Twitter
Please go here if you wish to contact me for work
My Blog updated daily
More of my tutorials Here
- Tippy’s Quiz Night: Photoshop Selections
- Introducing Tippy’s Quiz Night!
- What’s What? Live! Discovering Passion, Resilience, and Nordic Workshops with Special Guest Dave Williams
- Social Media Image Sizing with Adobe Express
- From Stanford to Lynda, then LinkedIn Learning and Adobe. Jan Kabili’s Journey
- 3 Photoshop Techniques for Effortless Social Media Sizing
- Unveiling the Multifaceted World of Technology and Creativity with David McClelland
- New Things and Reminiscing. What’s What? Live! with Special Guest Dave Cross
- Unlocking Creativity: Exploring Adobe Express with Jordan Dené Ellis
- Exploring Comics and Mental Health: A Livestream Chat with Lucy Sullivan