I was talking to a photographer the other day and I was saying how much I love Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), and that I’ll do 90% of what I want to achieve there before moving into Photoshop. He argued against this stating “Once you’ve clicked Open Image in ACR your adjustments can’t be changed”. By default this is true, but not when you use my beloved modifier keys….
Shift It To Smart It
By default, to open an image in Photoshop you’d click the Open Image button. If you do this, I agree, it locks down the adjustments you’ve made in ACR. You can of course return to your edits via the RAW image, but anything you do in Photoshop will have to be redone.
You can however, change the buttons. Pressing the Shift key modifies them and they become;
By clicking the Open Object button You Open Your Image as a Smart Object.
In Camera RAW you’ll notice that the buttons have again changed, his time showing OK and Cancel. Both will return you to your image in Photoshop but Cancel will not carry forward any of your adjustments.
Smart Object By Default
If you find this useful and would like to have the Open Object button as default you can set this up very easily. At the bottom of the ACR screen you’ll see an underlined line of text, it’ll look something like this;
Clicking on this brings up a dialogue box, at the bottom of which is a check box;
Check this and you’ll have the Open Object button as default. You can open your image as a layer still, just press the Shift key and you’ll have your Open Image button back again.
- Tippy’s Quiz Night: Photoshop Selections
- Introducing Tippy’s Quiz Night!
- What’s What? Live! Discovering Passion, Resilience, and Nordic Workshops with Special Guest Dave Williams
- Social Media Image Sizing with Adobe Express
- From Stanford to Lynda, then LinkedIn Learning and Adobe. Jan Kabili’s Journey
- 3 Photoshop Techniques for Effortless Social Media Sizing
- Unveiling the Multifaceted World of Technology and Creativity with David McClelland
- New Things and Reminiscing. What’s What? Live! with Special Guest Dave Cross
- Unlocking Creativity: Exploring Adobe Express with Jordan Dené Ellis
- Exploring Comics and Mental Health: A Livestream Chat with Lucy Sullivan